The energy, like the stress levels rises up and down at this time of the year. We go through the stress, the happy phase and then a dip into the depression of everything being over so quickly. Before we can take a deep breath, 2018 is around the corner and then another stress pike hits us. Then the general deflation of going back to work and dealing with the endless advertising for gym memberships and diet deals slam dunk us into another vicious cycle of the blues.
We do this every year and yet we start off the year with this brilliant hang over energy hoping to forget the year that has been and put all our eggs into the new year which is like telling a new starter in a company that they are to be this or that. Imagine the pressure of living up to people’s expectations!
The thing is, the New Year is LIFE. There are some things is in your control and others, that are not. You cannot control who will die, who will have a terminal illness, how your company is run and how that will affect your employment nor can you stop yourself from feeling unhappy.
You can however try to be kind to yourself so that will start a circle of good things around you, deal with situations better, go see the doctor if you feel ill and prevent a bigger illness, take care of yourself, attract the right people, and do more of happy. You can stop going into one relationship to the other, you can set aside time to study or improve your skills, spend time with people you love, plan things and be in control of what you can achieve in your life.
Start of 2018 in a more positive way. Here is a list of things you can put into practice before or on the first week of the New Year. You will need a new note book or a sheet of paper for some of the ideas below.
1. Learn from the Bad stuff
The problem with wishing away the year is that we miss out on the lessons or the positives that could push us forward in 2018. There are so many good things that have happened, bad stuff also have good things in them and lessons to be learned. Remember in the darkness there is always light, we just have to find it. What did you learn from that experience? Did you find that you were a lot stronger than you thought? Were you able to stand up for yourself in a positive away? Draw two columns in a note book or sheet. Mark one, “Situation” and the other “Lessons”. You can also add another two column to indicate date/time and another for “Positive/Negative”. Now write down as clearly and succinctly as possible what happened and the in lessons, think of how you overcame, reacted or learned from the situation. There is no right or wrong answers, this is about YOU and how it affected you. If you decided on the positive/negative then indicate what the outcome for you was. You can list as many or as little as you want. Once you have finished, take a look, read through and see how your words make you feel and look at how many positives or negatives occurred. This is a great exercise as if you encounter similar or recurring situations in 2018. You can go back and see the pattern forming and you will have another revelation or learning to uncover. For 1-7 I found this piece of music so relaxing and really helps to put me in a very tingly, mindful and calm zone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l8gD4mQty0&list=PLdp-VfHDBb-aoG5A4fQGH-nHAOTVB37dY&index=43
2. Letting Go – This is simply to put on paper, the things you feel you need to “let go” off – emotions, attitudes or habits that you feel stops you from going forward
3. Spring clean – start the New Year with a clean slate. Decluttering the house can be the start of the clearing of the mind. Get rid of the things you don’t need. Do this in a mindful way so that you are not thinking of anything other than what you are doing in the moment. Give away or throw but get the house in order. This helps to get your own mind in order and focused.
4. Gratitude Jar – this is a good time to open your jar and start reading the good stuff that happened over the year. If you don’t have one, then start a new one for 2018. Get an old large jar and decorate it as you will. Write down your day or week’s highlight into the jar as often as you can. Open up and read around this time next year.
5. Friends & Family – write down a list of people you would like to spend more time with in 2018. This is even people you are no longer speaking to or haven’t been in touch with. Put down an activity or even a place you would like to be with them, next to their name. Make it a realistic list and an activity. Go back later this year to reflect on how you can make it happen or be surprised at who calls or messages you in the year. Write down another list of people who make you feel bad or guilty. Let this list serve you when you encounter the same patterns the coming year. You have choices and options. Never feel that you MUST or NEED to spend time with anyone who makes you feel bad.
6. Write down five things you want to see happen in 2018. This is about YOU so leave out your children, partner or friends. Just about what you want and need.
7. What do you want to transform this year? Is there a part of you that needs transformation? If there is ONE thing that the Universe could do for you, what would that be? Emotion, relationship, career, health, mental clarity, money….etc
8. Find a moment between now and NYE to meditate. I love this piece https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6AqsXW09fU&list=PLdp-VfHDBb-aoG5A4fQGH-nHAOTVB37dY&index=55 for meditation at the moment. It makes my body relax but also create a very beautiful space around me. Create a space and time for yourself so you won’t be disturbed. Leave your notebook or a sheet of paper next to you with a pen.You can do this for 10mins or an hour, totally up to you. Make yourself comfortable and put on the music. Close your eyes and breathe in and out a few times until you feel your body relaxing. Focus only on the chant and let your mind drift to the words. Now set an intention to relax and to feel positive. Write down any thoughts, ideas or words that come to you when you open your eyes. Read through later and think of what it means to you.
9. New Year Smudging & Energy Clearance
Clear the energy by smudging the house with sage. I prefer white Californian sage but you can use frankincense or just a bunch of your favourite incense. Put on this Mahalakshmi Gaytri Mantra as you do this this chant is calling on Lakshmi, the Goddess of Wealth to come grace you with good fortune. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEcn2Bvakr4 Start the north most area of the house or flat and work around clockwise with the sage, focusing only on your 3rd eye and putting out an intention to clear the energy and for good stuff in 2018. Try not to be distracted and try to keep positive. When you get back where you started, put your palms together and welcome Lakshmi to your house. You can also ask Archangel Michael or any of your preferred deity instead of Lakshmi. Guide to Smudging
10. Vision-board – create your vision-board with images or words that resonate with you in terms of what you want to achieve in 2018. I am doing a comprehensive manifesting day so please do come along if you can. Here are the details: Ultimate Manifesting Workshop
I hope this has offered you a positive and uplifting start to the New Year. Please do share this with friends and family so they can get a great start too!